From Catharine Ellingsen, EVP, Chief Legal Officer, Chief Ethics & Compliance Officer
We are excited to receive your feedback from the Employee Experience Survey, kicking off September 14! Every employee has a responsibility to speak up and this is a great opportunity to share your feedback. The survey includes two ethics questions: My direct supervisor does what is right, even when hard or unpopular & I understand how my choices and actions play a role in making Republic Services an ethical place to work.
You asked, we listened! Here are some highlights from action taken this year with our ethical and compliant culture in mind:
- We updated our communication tools to focus on topics that are important to you and that we hear about often, such as policy clarifications, management and employee behavior, and empowering leaders to handle concerns.
- In January, we refreshed how Company-wide policies are drafted for easier review and understanding. We are continuing to refresh policies to align with our new process.
- In May, we kicked off our “Make the Right Choice” video series geared to help employees understand how our choices and actions play a key role in our ethical culture.
- In June, we held our second annual Ethics Week. We focused on our core values and reviewed how every employee is expected to live these values daily and make the right choice. We also launched our refreshed Code of Business Ethics and Conduct, focused on our values and the standards we expect in our daily work.
- Code of Ethics training – This training will emphasize the importance of our Code of Business Ethics and Conduct, including our commitment to delivering results in the right way by acting with integrity and making our values a part of everything we do.
- Refreshed Employee Handbook – Our Handbook serves as an overview of our key business standards, including policies, employment practices, safety rules and benefits programs.
Want to learn more or have questions? Review our Code of Business Ethics and Conduct, or reach out to EthicsandCompliance@republicservices.com.
Do you have a story to share or a co-worker to recognize who made the right choice when faced with a tough situation? Email EthicsandCompliance@republicservices.com to share your story and it could be featured in a future communication!