World Mental Health Day is observed on October 10 each year, and this year’s theme is bringing attention to “Mental Health in an Unequal World.”
Mental health disorders have no boundaries. Worldwide, an estimated:
- 1 in 5 youths have a mental disorder
- 264 million people live with depression, which is the leading cause of disability globally
- 45 million people live with bipolar disorder
- 20 million people live with schizophrenia
- 50 million people live with dementia
People are also not getting the treatment they need and deserve:
- More than 80% of people experiencing mental health conditions are without any form of quality, affordable mental health care.
- Globally, there is a median of nine mental health workers per 100,000 people — varying from less than two per 100,000 in low-income countries to over 70 per 100,000 in high-income countries.
- 76–85% of people lack access to care in low- and middle-income countries.
Republic’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is available to all employees, spouses, and dependents. You can talk with a professional 24/7 for confidential counseling to help with a variety of everyday life issues and challenges. Personal setbacks, emotional conflicts or just the demands of daily life can affect your work, health, and family. With help from your GuidanceResources program, they don’t have to. This company-sponsored benefit is available to you and your family members at no cost.
Contact a professional today by calling 800-331-3684 or visit guidanceresources.com and use Web ID: REPUBLIC.
Sanvello is on-demand help with stress, anxiety, and depression – it’s an app that offers clinical techniques to help dial down the symptoms of stress, anxiety, and depression anytime. Connect with powerful tools that are there for you right as symptoms come up. Stay engaged each day for benefits you can feel. Use Sanvello whenever you need to, track your progress, and stay until you feel better. The Sanvello app is available to you at no extra cost as part of your plan’s behavioral health benefits.
Talkspace is the extra support you might need – 24/7. It’s another no-cost app that helps you access licensed, in-network therapists at a time that works for you.
For more information about stigma-free ways to talk about mental health, check out the resources below, provided by our partners at Optum.
To learn more about World Mental Health Day, visit the World Health Organization at www.who.int.