General Manager Geoffrey J. recently met with Habitat for Humanity Choptank and the five locally owned small businesses that received funding through our Committed to Serve Initiative. The local organizations and businesses receiving assistance include the following:
- Alpha Genesis Community Development Corporation: A nonprofit that creates a shared experience through arts and culture, Alpha Genesis is using the funds to expand their online services and experiences, including live streaming their events, which will allow the organization to better reach residents and community members.
- Baking Junction: In partnership with a local museum, Baking Junction teaches history, science and entrepreneurship skills. To increase its reach, the organization is establishing a small classroom at the museum.
- Demby Transportation, Inc.: This small business is a local bus operator that provides essential services to the local school system. Demby transpiration was directly impacted by the pandemic and has used funding to remain open and ready to return to a full-service schedule when schools reopen in August.
- Harriet Tubman Organization, Inc.: A community-based association, the Harriet Tubman Organization, Inc. is a museum that captures the incredible contributions of this strong African American leader. It provides programs and services to children and families that showcase the rich history of Harriett Tubman and her impact.
- Jones Mini Mart: As the only convenience store in the area, Jones Mini Mart is an essential business for the historic Pine Street community. In addition to being a central location for convenience items, Jones Mini Mart also supports the community and collaborates with others to help by providing Wi-Fi to community members. The revitalization funds allowed Jones Mini Mart to install a counter and upgrade a retail refrigerator to better serve customers.
Each business has been able to utilize the support to move forward and thrive during unprecedented times. "We are deeply committed to giving back to the communities we serve. The Committed to Serve initiative gives us the unique opportunity to support a local nonprofit that is stepping up to help the businesses in the area during this challenging time,” said Geoffrey J., General Manager.