Launched in 2018, National Neighborhood Promise®, a program of the Republic Services Charitable Foundation, provides funding for neighborhood revitalization projects in communities where Republic Services customers and employees live and work.
The 2021 grant recipients include 11 community partners – many of which are focusing on historically Black neighborhoods that have experienced disinvestment – that received grants ranging from $100,000 to $200,000.
2021 Community Partners
- Rebuilding Together Peninsula – Rebuilding Together Peninsula will be transforming lives at the Abundant Grace Coastside Worker facility in Half Moon Bay, Calif., which supports individuals who are at risk for homelessness. They will help the organization transform a garage space into storage and build out a kitchen, which will enable the facility to better serve its clients.
- Rebuilding Together Sacramento – To help organizations addressing hunger, Rebuilding Together Sacramento’s projects will support the Elk Grove Food Bank by building a cold storage room, storage spaces, and landscaping. These improvements will allow the food bank to serve more residents.
- Habitat for Humanity of New Castle County – To support the Rock the Block program in Northeast Wilmington, DE., Habitat for Humanity of New Castle County will repair homes, host a community cleanup, and develop a public park – providing green space and recreation opportunities for residents.
- Rebuilding Together Atlanta – In the Adamsville Park neighborhood, Rebuilding Together Atlanta will complete projects in the Herbert Green Nature Preserve to improve the community and uplift those who are economically disadvantaged. The projects will include trail cleanup and widening, which will make it more accessible and usable for residents.
- CHWC, Inc. – The project with Community Housing of Wyandotte County will revitalize Kansas City’s historic Northwest district through park and playground installations, community gardens, neighborhood art projects, home beautification and repair, and expansion of the Heritage Trail.
- Rebuilding Together Twin Cities – The Rondo neighborhood in St. Paul was once a thriving, predominantly Black community that was divided by an interstate expansion. Rebuilding Together Twin Cities will be partnering with local governments to help breathe new life into this neighborhood. This project will include the development of a community garden and art mural.
- Rebuilding Together of Southern Nevada – To help support the Sunrise Manor neighborhood east of Las Vegas, Rebuilding Together of Southern Nevada will host a community-wide cleanup, provide vital home repairs to residents, and revitalize the neighborhood park.
- Habitat for Humanity of East Central Ohio – To support Canton’s Lathrop neighborhood, Habitat for Humanity of East Central Ohio will complete new home construction and critical repairs to existing homes, and renew the community through enhancements to the Compton Learning Center and the planting of an indigenous tree garden, creating green space for residents.
- Rebuilding Together Portland – Rebuilding Together Portland is revitalizing Oregon’s largest affordable housing community, Seeds of Harmony. The project will include rehabbing the community garden, increasing accessibility to the garden, and constructing a greenhouse and storage facility.
- Rebuilding Together Pittsburgh – Rebuilding Together Pittsburgh will be supporting the Wilkinsburg Safe at Home initiative, by using the grant funds to build out a vacant property surrounding the Hosanna House, a local community center, and creating a green space to serve as a community hub. The green space will include kiosks to support students and provide a platform for local, minority-owned small businesses to showcase products and services.
- Habitat for Humanity of York County – Focused on the Crawford Road neighborhood, Habitat for Humanity of York County will leverage the grant to revitalize Carroll Park by restoring historic walking trails, installing new equipment – including a basketball court and a baseball backstop – and beautifying the space.
To date, the Foundation has partnered with select nonprofits to support 60 neighborhood revitalization efforts.
To learn more about our commitment to neighborhoods we serve, visit republicservices.com/giving.