Restaurant meals typically contain more calories, sodium and saturated fat than the meals you enjoy at home. Don’t let a meal out ruin your healthy eating goals. Follow these easy tips to eat healthy at restaurants and on the go!
- When dining out, scan the menu before you go and look for healthy options.
- Choose: Steamed, grilled, baked, broiled, roasted, or poached.
- Avoid: Fried, battered, crispy, creamy, buttered, au gratin, scalloped, cheesy, or stuffed.
- Eat mindfully throughout the day. Planning a big dinner? Aim for a light lunch.
- Focus on eating a variety of foods throughout your day to make sure that you meet your nutritional needs.
- Meal prepping at the beginning of the week can help you save money, time, and extra calories!
For additional tips for how to eat healthy at restaurants and on the go, check out these resources provided by Optum: