As the Black Friday and holiday shopping season approaches, it’s crucial to remember that it’s not just about finding the best deals—it’s also a prime time for cyber threats. Stay vigilant by understanding cyber threats to watch for and following cybersecurity best practices.
Cyber Threats to Watch
- Phishing Scams: Be skeptical of emails offering discounts. Verify the source before engaging.
- Payment Fraud: Be aware of scams resulting in financial loss or receipt of counterfeit goods.
- Delivery Scams: Increasingly common are the so-called “missed delivery” scams. These phishing attempts disguise themselves as messages from well-known delivery services, but their end goal is to capture personal and financial information.
Cybersecurity Best Practices
- Secure Web Use: Look for ‘https’ in URLs to ensure a secure connection.
- Strong Passwords: Use unique passwords and consider a password manager for added security.
- Smart Shopping: Be careful with promotional emails, especially those from sources you don’t recognize. If a deal seems too good to be true, it’s a good idea to do some research or go directly to the websites of well-known retailers. This way, you can avoid falling for scams disguised as amazing offers.
- Safe Transactions: Opt for secure payment methods, such as credit cards or trusted digital wallets, which offer additional layers of protection against fraud.
This holiday season, let’s be proactive in safeguarding our digital interactions, ensuring a safe and enjoyable time for all. Wishing you a secure and joyous holiday season!