What is phishing?
Phishing is a type of cyber scam that you may encounter at work or home. A phishing attack uses email or messaging service to trick you into opening an infected email attachment, clicking on a malicious link, and providing sensitive or confidential information. Want to learn more? Download our What is Phishing Overview (PDF)
How do I report a suspicious email?
If you receive a suspicious-looking email, click the ‘Report Phishing’ button, either within the message preview panel or the opened message.
Once you click on the button, the email will be forwarded to our Cyber Security team automatically so they can determine if it is a real phishing attack. You will see an on-screen notification confirming that the email has been reported and the suspicious email will be moved into your Trash folder.
How do I stay vigilant against a phishing attack?
Review all emails you receive before taking action on them. Be particularly vigilant with unsolicited messages (those you did not necessarily expect to receive). Don’t forget these important points:
- Display names can be spoofed – Cybercriminals often fake the “From” name in an email to try to fool you.
- Links can be disguised – A link might look safe on the surface but show suspicious signs (like unexpected domain names and strange numbers and characters) when you hover your mouse over them.
- Grammar and spelling mistakes are red flags – Messages from legitimate companies or individuals rarely have these issues.
- Urgent and threatening statements are common in phishing emails – Always be suspicious of messages that make you feel you must act immediately out of fear, excitement, anger, or another emotional trigger.
- Infected attachments will infect our devices and systems – Phishing emails often include attachments that contain viruses and malicious software (malware) that can damage files, spy on you, steal your passwords, and more. Don’t view or download any attachment until you are 100% certain it is safe.
Bottom line: If you suspect a phishing email, report it immediately with ‘Report Phishing’. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.