A few of the many benefits of eating more fruits and vegetables include lowered Body Mass Index (BMI), LDL cholesterol levels and blood pressure; decreased chance of stroke and Type 2 diabetes; and reduced risk of many types of cancers. If you’re looking for ways to incorporate more fruits and vegetables into your family’s daily routine, we’ve got you covered!
10 simple ways to eat more fruits and vegetable as part of a healthy diet:
- Keep frozen vegetables on hand in the freezer for a quick and easy side dish.
- When eating out, ask for a side salad or extra vegetables.
- Eat the colors of the rainbow.
- Choose raw fruits or vegetables as a snack – like carrots or apple slices.
- Prepare them when you get home from the grocery store: A little prep work goes a long way.
- Add fruits and vegetables to salads — try blueberries, avocados or grapefruit.
- Make a smoothie in the blender with a handful of greens and fruit such as bananas or blueberries.
- Add fruit to your morning bowl of cereal.
- Add veggies to your sandwich, like lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, or even leftover grilled vegetables.
- Build a better pizza. Instead of meat and cheese, try to make it veggie.
Fruits and vegetables are most flavorful, nutritious and fresh when they are eaten in season. A couple of summer staples to try:
- Eggplant – Helps manage diabetes and reduce stress. The best time to eat eggplant is the late summer during July – August. (And did you know that an eggplant is actually a berry?)
- Blackberries – A super food that contains lots of vitamins, fiber and antioxidants. You can find blackberries at their best in late summer as well.
- Peaches – Helps reduce allergy symptoms, prevent certain types of cancers and improves heart health. Although May is the beginning of peach season, they are sweetest toward the end of the summer.
To learn more about the benefits of eating fruits and vegetables, or to be added to our wellness email list, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have you had a great customer service experience lately? Tell us about it. Email BlueNation@RepublicServices.com.