At Republic Services Headquarters in Phoenix, Arizona, it’s a heat wave – with record-breaking temperatures across the region, including our business units in North Phoenix, Lake Havasu, Yuma and Tucson. We’re not alone, as this week’s temperatures will be among the hottest so far this year in many parts of the country.
Extreme heat can be dangerous for anyone, but especially for our frontline employees and those working outdoors. Our 101 Days of Summer Safety Program puts one of the Company’s core values – Safe – into action. The program runs Memorial Day to Labor Day (September 5) and requires each division to develop an extensive summer safety plan that aims to keep employees safe.
Here’s what employees can expect during 101 Days of Summer Safety:
- Safety meetings dedicated to heat considerations
- Divisional Emergency Action Plans for emergency response procedures.
- 101 Days of Summer Safety poster to track incident and injury free days.
- Messages about the importance of rest, nutrition and proper hydration.
- Recognition for safety achievements during the program.
Preventing a heat stroke, is relatively simple: rest, find shade, and hydrate. With this summer’s intense heat across the country showing no signs of letting up, please keep summer safety top of mind.
“By recognizing the dangers of the season and being mindful of what we can do to prevent them, we’re able to continue providing customers with superior service – even in high temperatures,” said Jessica G., Manager, Environmental Health and Safety Program Manager.